Monday, October 25, 2010

Interview With Author Kevin Hopson

      Today I had the opportunity to interview another of MuseItUp's authors. Author Kevin Hopson is my guest today. Kevin was a freelance writer for nearly 10 years prior to 2009. He covered subjects such as finance, energy, and sports. For the past eighteen months he has focused on writing fiction. Kevin says he loves to write dark fiction with a mix of the elements of sci-fi, horror, and the paranormal. Kevin currently has four eBooks under contract with MuseItUp Publishing. He also has a book in print that is a collection of his first three shor stories titled "Darkness Abound" which was released in September. "Darkness Abound" can be found at Lulu.com.
 
Kevin's first eBook, "World of Ash," is scheduled for release on November 1, 2010. "World of Ash is a combination of dark fiction, science fiction, and paranormal. Kevin shared the back cover blurb for the book with us and reads as follows: Jax has always succumbed to his boss' wishes in an effort to please him. When he is asked to journey to the town of Tellare with a volcanic ash cloud standing in his way, Jax realizes the dangers, but he accepts the job anyway. He even brings along his friend Stu as company. However, Jax starts to regret his decision when Stu puts up resistance and conditions continue to worsen. What awaits them inside the ash cloud, and will Stu prove to be a liability when push comes to shove?
 

At the end of my author interviews I like to ask a few questions that are "just for fun" type questions. The following are the questions I asked Kevin along with his response to each:

Who or what has influenced your writing?

In terms of what has influenced my writing, I would have to say science. Even though my college degree is in finance, I have always been intrigued by science. Readers will notice an element of science fiction in most, if not all, of my stories. I also model my simple writing style after one of my favorite authors, Brian Keene.

 
 
Where do you hope to take your writing in the future?

I hope to take my writing to a new level as I continue to develop as a writer. It would be nice to be a best-selling author one day. However, I would be satisfied writing a novel I can be proud of. To this day, I have only written short stories and mini-novels. 

 
 
Do you ever suffer from writer's block? If so, what do you do about it?

I certainly do. When this occurs, I try to take a break from writing and do something mundane. It allows me to clear my head and, in turn, my brain to wander. It has worked every time for me.

 
 
What are you reading now?

Phantoms by Dean Koontz. 

 
 
What was the first horror book/story you remember reading?
The Tell-Tale Heart by Edgar Allen Poe.
 
     I want to take the time to thank Kevin Hopson again for allowing me to interview him. If you are interested in updates about Kevin's writing you can follow his blog at:

No comments:

Post a Comment