Sunday, December 8, 2013

Author Spotlight: Tricia Riel


Today we have the honor of welcoming author Tricia Riel to the Eerie Alliance blog. Tricia is the author of the Zephrum Gates series of novels. So, grab a cup of coffee and sit back as we get to know a little about Tricia and her amazing novels.

What is your motivation for writing?

In a larger sense, my motivation for writing is to give my fun creative thoughts a place to thrive.  I have a wish to live in a world where amazing things are possible (whether that be magically or realistically).  Sometimes, the weight of the “real” world’s problems can be overwhelming to me, so it’s good to have a place to go where things can unexpectedly work out.  My wish to pass on greater environmental awareness (through story) is another motivator.  I hope that the many gems of earth wisdom in my books will infiltrate the consciousness of my readers… & help to positively change our living paradigm. I also just enjoy creating entertaining stories with lively characters. 

What inspired you to become a writer?

I love to play with words & I absorb new languages like a sponge.  While working on my Master’s Degree in Theatre, I took a couple of Play Writing classes & really enjoyed them.  I had a knack for creating memorable characters & humorous scenarios.  I loved learning about alternative story structures & seeing ideas come to life, but I wanted to find a way to use words more comprehensively.

Around the same time, the Harry Potter series was dazzling my imagination.  I wanted to read more, but J.K. Rowling was still in the midst of writing the last few books in the series.  I just couldn’t wait for her to finish, so I decided to write something of my own.  I wanted to have something that was fun & magical to read.  I needed something entertaining & captivating to engage me while I was waiting.

I took about a year to make lists of concepts & ideas I wanted to work with.  I have an “inventions” list, a “weird expressions” list, & I even have a whole list of “gross words.”  The “gross words” list is a really fun thing to bring on dates, by the way.  Inevitably, you’ll get suggestions for more “gross words.”  J

Anyway, by the time I actually began writing the first Zephrum Gates book, my head was so wrapped around words of all kinds that it was as though the book wrote itself.  I have never had “writer’s block.”  For me, it’s just a matter of carving out the time & getting myself into the right headspace to dive in.

Once I realized how much fun it was to write… & how easily it came to me, I was hooked.  It’s like catching the “travel bug.”  Once you go on one journey, you want to go on more.

Thank you so much for stopping by, Tricia. We look forward to hearing more as you continue to write great books!!

If you would like to learn more about Tricia Riel and her Zephrum Gates novels please visit her on her website @ www.zephrumgates.com or on FACEBOOK or TWITTER 

Thanks again Tricia for stopping by. We are honored to have you and hope you will stop by again soon!!

No comments:

Post a Comment